Friday 8 April 2011

Why Bother Lying?


Would you turn down a holiday here, just so you could call yourself sustainable?


This raises a few questions, is this all a front? Am I kidding myself into thinking I'm sustainable? Do I even really care, or am I somehow convincing myself that by switching off the odd light, and wearing an extra jumper that I am actually making a difference?

 Honesty is the best policy...

Would you rather drive (or drive in the future) a Ford/Renault car or an Audi/Mercedes/BMW? 
I'd go for the latter, I already know that I am totally unsustainable when it comes to my modes of transportation, and I never hesitate to quickly jump in the car. Cycling is an option, yes but its certainly not one that appeals to me . Speaking as a driver, I think cyclists are largely a nuisance  on the road, and actually terribly unsafe. So I'd opt for the Audi on this one - well built,  aesthetically pleasing - and SAFE (unfortunately this cannot be said for a bicycle, as sustainable as it may be.)

Would you honestly rather live in a small flat in a city centre or a bigger house, with more space, perhaps in the country?
A bigger house, in the country, with land + character and all the other perks of country living. I  know this causes issues again of being rather isolated (meaning cars are generally a necessity), yet in a way this does provide opportunities for sustainability in other ways. i.e. growing your own fruit and vegetables and living within walking distance to local shops and amenities - something you wouldn't have if you lived in a small flat. Having grown up in this environment, being surrounded by fields and farmland, I wouldn't want to trade in this lifestyle for "The Big Smoke" and think that living in the countryside can provide more opportunities regarding sustainability.

Would you prefer your next holiday to be in Norfolk or Wales or do you fancy a trip to Thailand/South Africa/California/Greece? 
As lovely as parts of Britain are, I'd definitely have to go for Thailand/South Africa/California/Greece. Holidaying abroad is definitely something that I'd hate to sacrifice, and is something I've been fortunate enough to experience. However I am aware that flying is extremely bad for the environment, and this is a rather big issue. Particularly being a geography student I have a huge interest in seeing the world, and I think just looking at pictures and reading about countries (this would be the sustainable option) Isn't really enough... 


Would you go as far as swap your new smart phone for the cheapest handset in Tescos? 
No ? How would I keep up with NILE on the go?  
But honestly, having  a friend who has recently had an accident involving a smart phone, and a washing machine -which inevitably resulted in the classic "Tesco £10 phone" I think actually the perks are amazing, incredible battery life, no fear of being mugged, cheap and actually extremely robust. Nevertheless I must admit I have become heavily reliant upon my iphone, and its array of applications, that in fact help me out on a daily basis. I admit I would definitely struggle to give it up.


Would you give up shopping for clothes for a year? 
No - well I suppose I could, but I literally don't think this is possible. We are hugely influenced in society by fashion and the media, and the retail industry is vast. Shopping is seen as a necessity to (admittedly) the majority of women, but men too - whether or not they choose to confess this . Also not forgetting if people gave up shopping, our countries economy would steadily collapse , and  garment manufacturers in developing countries who reply upon it to earn a living would lose out considerably. I'm not trying to make this acceptable - because it isn't. However I think there is more here to be considered, than simply cutting down on "retail therapy." 


Would you stop eating bananas, oranges and out of season fruit? 
This would be particularly difficult. I very much enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables that cannot generally be grown in Britain, and so reply upon them out of season.  So not having these would be difficult. Its also important to me to maintain a healthier lifestyle, and therefore not buying fresh fruits, even in the form of juices and smoothies would be a challenge, and saying that I could live without them would most definitely be lying! I could suggest growing my own, however with my plant rearing skills, I think eventually this would become a rather bigger problem than just buying out of season fruit.


Are you so naive and innocent that you think wind farms, tidal power and solar energy can possibly supply our needs in the future? 
I think people's perceptions, habits and attitudes need to be changed first, as this will be the most influential factor. With this  along side all other sustainable efforts this can then aid our needs in the future - but I do think we have a long, long way to go.

The verdict?


As you can see, I have come to realise that I am actually, really, a very unsustainable person. Admitting defeat is not an option. We cannot carry on "compromising the needs of future generations." (Brundtland Report 1987) It is clear that even myself, I am definitely more unsustainable than I am sustainable. So what is the problem?   


As mentioned in my first post we live in a society that is very much about the present, material possessions seem important while they last, annual holidays to a hot far-away destination are "expected," along with following fashion, and driving a nice car. It is simple, we need to change our attitudes. I am certainly not categorising everyone here, there are people who live extremely sustainable lifestyles, my Auntie and Uncle being a classic example here of people living under the term of the "Eco-Warrior." They live a very self sufficient lifestyle in which they grow all their own fruits and vegetables, have traded a car for two bicycles, make their own clothes, and supply their own energy. I have grown used to the "recycled" birthday cards, and horrendous "home-made apple juice" (which actually resembles sweet-ish water). Yet one thing is for sure there have been one too many occasions now when we hear "oh yes they've been knocked off their bicycle in Oxford again" and "yes he's broken his leg- in two places this time." Despite these pitfalls, (which as expected are cycling-related) it is clear to me that sustainability on a personal level is achievable - most definitely. But I certainly fall into the first category here, the "unsustainable liar type."...


So yes, I do my bit - minute as it is on the grand scheme of things, but it is a start, and if anything I am now aware of how my actions are "negatively" affecting our planet. 
We cannot continue to bury our heads in the sand, and it is certainly not too late to give up. Yes some damage has most definitely been done, and can this be reversed? -  Probably not, but we most  certainly can change our actions, to preserve our planet for future generations.  


Lets start by telling the truth...
 
"The starting point for a better world is the belief that it is possible."  -  Norman Cousins   

1 comment:

  1. Reading this post, you have reached some of the same conclusions I did myself, in that I am not as sustainable as I initially thought.
    Saying that, you say your self that we can not carry on burying our heads in the sand.
    What aspects of your lifestyle would you be inclined to change for good?

    ReplyDelete